Seeing as I spent my birthday in an airport and then in Manila WITHOUT CAKE, I thought I would make it up to myself by baking the birthday cake I never had. It would also help me get through the corona times. So this is my easy Swedish cream cake (or grädd tårta as we call it in Sweden) recipe that I am sharing with you.
This is a very easy cream cake recipe, which looks amazing and is really fresh and light. You can top it with as much or as little fruit as you want and any different type of fruit that you want as well!
You will need a round cake form with a 24 cm diameter.
- 4 eggs
- 200g sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 200g flour
- Butter for the tin
- 200ml double cream
- Raspberries, strawberries and/or blueberries
- Cake filling: 2 bananas, custard or strawberry/raspberry jam or (like me) all three!
For the cake
- Set the oven to 175 degrees
- Butter up the cake form
- Mix the baking powder, vanilla sugar and flour
- Whisk the egg with the sugar until fluffy
- Stir the egg into the flour mixture and pour into the cake form
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 27-30 minutes
- Let it rest until it has cooled down
- Once cooled take a long bread knife and cut the cake in half
For the filling & topping
- Mash up two bananas with a fork and mix with a few tablespoons of custard and spread on top of the bottom half of the cake
- Spread raspberry or strawberry on the underside of the top half of the cake
- Sandwich the two halves of the cake together
- Using an electric whisk, whisk up the double cream and spread on top of the cake
- Decorate with blueberries, raspberries and/or strawberries
Liked my recipe? Help me out my pinning it on Pinterest! 🙂