This rye bread layer cake recipe is perfect for any stale rye bread you may have forgotten at the back of your cupboard and is really quite interesting in comparison with many of the standard sponge cakes we have in the UK. This cake is from the Sønderjylland region in southern Denmark where they are famous for their ‘cake tables’, a table laid with 20 cakes or more served with coffee! Sounds like my idea of heaven.
You will need a cake tin which is 22-24cm in diameter for this recipe. If your rye bread is not stale, then you can just take it out a few hours before you use it and let it become stale.
- 160g hazelnuts
- 150g stale rye bread
- Six eggs with their yolks separated
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Butter for the cake tins
For the filling and topping
- 300ml double cream
- Blackberry jam, blueberry jam, or whatever jam you want!
- Dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees. Line your cake tin with baking paper and butter them lightly so the cake doesn’t stick
- Put the hazelnuts in a food processor and blend until fine
- Crumble the rye bread and add to the food processor with the hazelnuts and blend until fine
- Mix the rye bread and hazelnuts with the baking powder and cocoa powder
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until fluffy and add to the rye bread mixture
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the rye bread batter
- Spread between two baking tins, or if you only have one then pour half the mixture in to bake and then reuse the baking tin for the other half of the cake mixture
- Bake the cake mixture in the oven for 12 minutes
- Leave to cool
- Whisk up the double cream
- Spread a layer of jam on top of the bottom layer of the cake
- Add some whipped cream on top of the layer of jam and spread round until desired thickness is achieved, then add some more jam on top of the whipped cream
- Place the top layer of the cake on the bottom layer, so that they are sandwiched together with the cream and jam
- Spread the remaining whipped cream on the top layer
- Chop up some dark chocolate and add to the top of the cake.
Et voilà! Enjoy with coffee as part of a healthy balanced diet.
Liked my recipe for the rye bread layer cake? Please help me out by pinning it on Pinterest! 🙂